jueves, 22 de abril de 2010

A Little Bit of Everything…


Being an assistant in Professor Sarah’s Art Classes, Adelante (for students with learning disabilities) with Professor Marilu and an Auxiliar in Professor Diana’s 3C class is going well. It keeps things interesting- always moving around.


Today, as I was walking up to Fe y Alegria, I ran into many of the classes marching for Earth Day to inform people that they should live green, singing the song at the top of their voices “Cuidemos al planeta… no vamos a gastar,” energetically hoisting up their posters and banners, most which had drawings of smiling planets. I joined in their steps since Professor Diana’s class was among them. It was cute to see them enthusiastically rallying together for a cause and sharing their knowledge with the community. We walked down to the Tupac Amaru Park- which was perfect- giving me the chance to stop off at my house and grab my camera- didn't want to miss the opportunity to take some pictures of this day!

I think it’s great that they are starting off young to try to teach them environmental consciousness! I think out of necessity there is a lot less waste here. In our own house, hardly any of the water just gets wasted down the drain; we wash and rinse our dishes in plastic bins so we don’t use much water, later it’s used to water the plants, we put the water we shower with in buckets to flush the toilet and so many other things I normally never think of. Water is indeed precious here. Many times there is a shortage of water in Chorillos. Almost every day the tank gets filled from a public supply of water; yet sometimes it runs out or doesn’t get filled. Luckily, this house has an extra supply and we “bombear” if we run out of water. However, not everyone is so lucky to be able to do this here. There are so many basic needs that people lack here that I once took for granted: access to water, food and electricity.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario