miércoles, 9 de febrero de 2011

Parting with Peru

It was not quite so easily to leave Peru, literally and figuratively. My mom and I had both of our flights set for Wednesday, February 3rd. Except we forgot to think about one thing: the time. We got it into our heads that we would be flying out Wednesday night, after midnight. However, the flights were at 12:20 and 12:40 a.m. (Tuesday night). Instead of heading off to the airport, I was having a last get-to-gether with my English students and my mom was resting because she had come down with a stomach bug. As soon as we realized it, our flights were long gone!

Another tale to add to my adventures and fiascos in Peru. Since we had already missed our flights, we decided to stay another week in Lima. Everything works out for a reason because I got to take more time to say my goodbyes and leave tiny recuerdos for people. So, though it was frustrating, it turned out well. It seems that Peru is not making it so easy for me to leave it, to go back to Seattle. Right now, I am sitting in the Reno airport, having to wait 6 more hours for the next flight to Seattle because my plane had technical problems

I thought I would be ready to go back to the states. But on my very last day, I realized that I would never be totally prepared to say goodbyes. My mom and I went to the market where I had given a little gift and note; we said goodbye, took pictures and even received little things from them, chocolates, granola and cookies. The generous hearts continue to amaze me. We said our goodbyes to all the Sisters in Las Delicias because it was Angelica's welcome to the community party (and our day leaving). Magda says they will always remember this day, the 8th of February. It was a sweet, albeit bitter, last hour with the Sisters. Later, reading the letters that some of my English students had written me, remembering all the beautiful moments, I suddenly got really sad; thinking especially about all the incredible friends that I would leave behind, the carino and amistad that emanates from the community. It's something really special that I will dearly miss. I thought about how much more I could give and get out of one more year serving as a volunteer. But, one year is long already and I know my future has something else in mind for me.

I can't believe how incredibly lucky I was to find the wonderful community that I did in Tupac. I would go back in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity to visit again. I am truly honored to have served as a volunteer for a year in Peru. And thank you all so much for making it possible; for all your support, prayers and good thoughts that were always with me. Knowing all the support that I had from all of my family and friends who were following my service, really kept me motivated and positive.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario