domingo, 14 de febrero de 2010

Hogar de San Francisco de Asis: Dr. Tony´s House


(*The viewpoint from the stairs where in the house where I´m staying, surrounded by stark, rocky mountains.)

These past few weeks have gone by in a whirlwind; full of crazy hospital trips into the city where I feel like accidents could happen every two seconds (I´ve nearly gotten run over twice which isn´t too bad), a house full of 50 kids, getting greeted by cockroaches at my feet whenever I go for a nice walk outside and so many other things. I am volunteering for a month at Dr. Tony´s house, a hogar for children who have various types of medical ailments. They range from severe burns to webbed feet and hands to amputations to leukemia and everything in between. At first, I was overwhelmed by everything but now it simply feels like a normal house with 50 kids (if that can seem normal). Everyday I get to know somebody a little better in the house, learn so many sad and also inspiring stories, experience daily life at the hogar. My life is getting so touched by the kids in the house, the doctor who started this incredible hogar, and the workers and volunteers who truly care. Each time at coffee hour the volunteers hear a different story about each patient; it really is opening my eyes to both the problems in this world and also the incredible people that are making it better.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario