lunes, 31 de mayo de 2010

If you want to feel like a celebrity, come to Peru

It's amazing how much Americans really stand out- and to top it off- Japanese Americans. Most people here can't wrap it around their head that I'm Japanese- but American, too. But I'm used to it. Just like I'm used to being called China or Chinita everytime I walk out of the door. However, unlike Spain, I don't generally feel like it's malicious. It's rather a nickname given out of carino, caring. Chinos refer to all people of Asian descent here. Sheila has her own unique word- she calls Japanese Japonicas (Ha-po-ni-kas, like harmonicas but with a J). Many have the nickname Chinito here (quite a few sports players), though they have no Asian in them to speak of. It's a popular nickname. They even call the fifty cent here una china. I've found it really fascinating to learn how Asian cultures are incorporated here.

I've even found the students at Fe y Alegria playing Jan-Ken-Po (a Japanese hand game of rock-paper-scissors). They even use the words Jan-Ken-Po! I can't help but always wonder how the presidency of Alberto Fujimori played a role in Peru. Whenever I talk a little bit about politics in Peru, I like to ask them what they thought of past president Fujimori, and what they think about Keiko Fujimori, his daughter, who's running for presidency in 2011. I've gotten many interesting and different answers.

Sometimes I get so much attention at Fe y Alegria it's embarrassing. I can't complain about all the greetings of kisses on the cheek and hugs that I receive from the little kids; but many times, whenever they see me walk past their classroom, they'll shout, "Miss Kimiko, La Profesora de Ingles o La China!" Then their teachers will discreetly close their doors or try to hush them down. Since I'm really the only Asian at the school, or in most of Chorrillos, I feel like a novelty. In fact, a lot of Lima I really stand out. But the thing that makes me feel the worst is when I walk in with another Professor and they all just shout "Profesora Kimiko." I don't like making the other professors feel like they are not being acknowledged! Because the teachers at Fe y Alegria are truly amazing! Every day, I am continually impressed by how they can have a classroom of 35 energetic students, many who have problems, and still be able to teach so much and maintain control! Wow! If only I could learn how to do that a little bit I would be pleased.

For me, the amount of stares and comments from not only the elementary but middle and
high schoolers that I receive in a day can be overwhelming. I'm not used to receiving all this attention; though I am so happy that they appreciate me being there. But I do think it's great that they're interested in me. I hope to be able to use this interest to meet more people and teach the community a bit about Japanese- and American- culture, and possibly try to eliminate some stereotypes along the way.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario